Tickets for sleigh rides are sold only at the Hardware Wildlife Education Center. Tickets can be purchased between 10 a.m and 4:30 p.m. at the education center and will be honored the day of their purchase. Please note that you cannot make reservations for sleigh rides.
Visiting Hardware WMA
Winter hours begin Dec. 2, 2022
Visiting Hardware Wildlife Management Area is free. For pre-recorded information about conditions and activities, call 435-753-6206 or 435-753-6168. Important: There is no fuel sold at the WMA, so plan ahead. There is also no cellular service in this area.
Returning this year: sleigh rides
The DWR and Hardware WMA are pleased to announce that beginning Dec. 2, Haviland's Old West Adventures will offer sleigh rides on the WMA Friday through Sunday, 10 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. during the winter elk-viewing season.
IMPORTANT: Tickets for sleigh rides are sold only at the Hardware Wildlife Education Center. Tickets can be purchased between 10 a.m and 4:30 p.m. at the education center and will be honored the day of their purchase. Please note that you cannot make reservations for sleigh rides.
- Ages 3 and younger: free
- Ages 4–8: $4
- Ages 9 and up: $10
A food truck will be present during sleigh ride hours to sell snacks and beverages.
- Friday–Sunday: 10 a.m.–4:30 p.m.
- Monday–Thursday: Closed
- Christmas Day: Closed
The Wildlife Education Center at Hardware WMA is open for the winter season (and sleigh rides) Friday, Dec. 2, 2022 through Feb. 12, 2023. Hours for the Wildlife Education Center and sleigh rides are 10 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Friday, Saturday and Sunday. The education center is closed and sleigh rides are not available Monday through Thursday, with the exception of Monday, Dec. 26.
When the education center is closed, elk viewing is possible from the WMA parking lots.
Year-round activities at Hardware WMA
During the spring, summer and fall, Hardware WMA provides great opportunities for wildlife viewing, hiking and other outdoor recreation. Elk viewing is most popular in the winter.
Wildlife Education Center
At the Wildlife Education Center, you will find restrooms, information, exhibits, all-ages education programs and staff available to answer questions during your visit. Educational programs — ranging from guided walks to craft projects — are offered at 11 a.m., noon, 1 p.m. and 2 p.m. every day the Education Center is open.
Where are the restrooms?
Restrooms are available at the Education Center when it is open. There is also a pit toilet located in the gravel parking lot near the Hardware WMA trailhead. (The pit toilet and trailhead area are maintained by the Utah Division of State Parks.)
Hardware WMA is located 15 miles east of Hyrum, Utah in Blacksmith Fork Canyon.
The road to Hardware WMA, state Route 101/Blacksmith Fork Canyon Road, is a paved state highway that is regularly plowed in the winter. With careful driving, you usually won't need a four-wheel-drive vehicle to reach the WMA. Use caution, though, and pay close attention to weather conditions when you plan your trip or enter the canyon.
Coming from Logan, Utah
Travel south on state Route 165 to Hyrum, then east on state Route 101 to Hardware WMA. Signs along the way will direct you to the WMA. Check weather and road conditions before heading out, as snowstorms make the paved road very slippery through Blacksmith Fork Canyon.
Coming from the south
- Travel north on Interstate Highway 15 to the Brigham City/Logan exit. This exit puts you on U.S. Highway 89/91.
- Follow U.S. 89/91 about 17 miles, traveling through Sardine Canyon into Cache Valley.
- After you go through Sardine Canyon, turn right (east) at the Wellsville light (by the Burger King). This puts you on state Route 101 — you should see white state Route 101 signs.
- Follow the state Route 101 signs and the Hardware WMA signs through the city of Hyrum and up Blacksmith Fork Canyon. Hardware WMA is at the end of the road, about 18 miles up the canyon and 22 miles from the light in Wellsville.
Detailed directions through Hyrum City, starting at the Wellsville light
- Turn right at the Wellsville/Burger King light. (This is the junction with state Route 101.)
- Go east until you reach 400 West and then turn right.
- Follow this road, heading south, until you reach a 4-way stop. Then turn left onto Main Street.
- Travel east on Main Street until you reach the light on 800 East.
- Continue east through the light and enter Blacksmith Fork Canyon.
- Drive up the canyon about 18 miles; this takes 30–45 minutes, depending on road conditions.
- Hardware WMA is at the end of the paved state road.
Contact Hardware WMA
Phone: 435-753-6206 (staff will be available to respond Friday through Sunday, from noon to 4:30 p.m.)