With COVID-19 restrictions loosening throughout the state, Hunter Education instructors are now scheduling instructor-led, in person classes. Please keep in mind the following:
- Classes will be limited to a total of 40 people, including the instructor, students, parents and other visitors.
- Masks are not required, but strongly recommended for everyone in the classroom.
- A social distance of at least six feet between individuals from different households will be observed, whenever possible.
These guidelines will also be followed during the in-person field day portion of the course. The virtual field day option will be offered until May 31. If you register for a virtual field day, your Hunter Education instructor will email you detailed instructions on how to complete the field day requirements.
For more information, check the "Additional Instructions" section of the course you wish to register for.
Instructor-led bowhunter education
- Total class time:
- 12 hours minimum
- Class meets:
- 3–4 days
- Online registration — see steps below
*Some facilities charge to rent a room or range, which increases the student cost.
This is a comprehensive course for national bowhunter certification. Completion is required to bowhunt in Idaho, Montana, Alaska and several other states. This course does not replace the hunter education course for archery hunters born after December 31, 1965 — these hunters must still complete the hunter education course before purchasing their hunting licenses.
The course includes bowhunting safety, ethics, methods and regulations. We will also discuss elevated stands, shot placement and survival. There will be field exercises and a final written exam.
How to take this course
- Purchase a Bowhunter Education Registration Certificate. You must have a registration certificate ($6) before attending this class. You can purchase a certificate online, from a Division office or a license agent.
- Find this course in your area and register online.