Landowner, DWR and sportsmen responsibilities
The landowner's primary responsibilities in this program are:
- To grant public access for fishing, hunting or trapping for the property enrolled.
- To designate areas for parking and kiosk placement.
- To decide, with Division representatives, how to properly post the property.
- To decide on the time period for public access.
- To determine the type of contact with the general public from the following options:
- Requiring those accessing the property to register at the kiosk before entering
- Require all public to personally contact the landowner before entering
The Division's involvement in this program is:
- To assist with the application process and ensure prompt payment
- To evaluate property for suitability
- To provide signs required for the property
- To work with landowner to properly post the property
- Manage a walk-in access Authorization program for sportsmen registration
- To provide kiosks with information and registration boxes
- To install registration boxes for sportsmen to use to sign in and out
- To provide conservation officer patrols
- To verify property ownership information
- To provide maps of the WIA area
Anyone 14 years of age or older must register for a walk-in access authorization number.
The sportsmen's primary responsibilities in this program are:
- To respect the property and landowner!
- To sign in and out at all registration sites
- To provide comments and participate in annual survey programs reporting their experience and the value of the program
- To obtain maps of properties and stay within those boundaries
- To follow specific property regulations